Undergraduates (BS)

The undergraduate program in speech and hearing sciences emphasizes the normal processes of speech, hearing, and language and allows the student to explore other academic areas of interest.

Degrees in Speech and Hearing

Bachelor of Science in Speech & Hearing Sciences

The Bachelor of Science degree is designed to prepare the student for pursuing interests in the field of speech-language pathology, audiology, or other health-related professions.  Through coursework and other opportunities which could include clinic observations and research participation, students connect foundational knowledge and clinical aspects in communication sciences and disorders.  Upon graduation, students may choose to pursue graduate programs, requirements for a speech-language pathology assistant certification, as well as consider careers in educational services, research, nonprofit agencies, or service and consumer industries.

Minor in Speech & Hearing Sciences

A minor in speech and hearing sciences is designed to provide the student with an overview of the nature of human communication, including its origin, development, and processes. Please refer to the undergraduate catalog for specific course requirements.  The student must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.2 and request, via a letter, permission of the director of undergraduate studies of the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders to minor. The letter should be submitted by February 1st.

Advising Information

Undergraduate students are advised in the Old Cafeteria Complex on ECU’s main campus. Students are expected to make an appointment with their advisor at least once during each academic semester to gain information on course registration and to ensure they are still on track for graduation.

You may expect your Academic Advisor to:

  • Discuss major requirements and assist in the selection of appropriate coursework
  • Provide accurate and timely information
  • Discuss academic goals and ways to meet them
  • Make referrals when necessary (academic, career, personal)
  • Be knowledgeable of campus policies and procedures (or be able to find the necessary information)
  • Discuss the academic advising processing including the roles of the advisor and advisees’
  • Be able to listen, understand, and respond appropriately to advisees concerns
  • Respect advisees as individuals, understanding differences in backgrounds and educational/life goals

For more info please email Briley Brand: brandb22@ecu.edu.

Student Resources

Get involved in Department Student Organizations: NSSLHA and SAA

FAQ for Students

Are there scholarship opportunities within this program?

The CSDI Department does not currently offer any scholarship opportunities for undergraduate students.

Is study abroad permitted in this program?

Undergraduate students interested in completing a study abroad should contact the Office of Global Affairs to determine available programs sponsored through ECU. As a speech and hearing sciences major, the best time to complete a study abroad program will be during the freshman or sophomore year, summer sessions, and/or spring break.

Are online classes provided in this undergraduate degree?

Undergraduate courses are not taught using online formats at this time.

Are summer classes available for the courses within this program?

No, undergraduate major/minor courses are only offered during the fall and spring semesters. However, undergraduate students may take elective courses in other departments during the summer sessions as needed.

What are the employment opportunities with this degree?

The SHS undergraduate degree may support employment in the fields listed below. However, there may be additional and specific training required. A master’s degree or higher is required to become a licensed speech-language pathologist or audiologist.

Service and Consumer Industry

  • Drama/speech coach
  • Marketing and sales
  • Employment agencies
  • Research administration communications
  • Real estate agent
  • SLP material development


  • Speech language pathology assistants
  • Drama/speech teacher
  • Teacher’s assistant
  • Deaf education
  • Communication sciences

Specialized education services

The SHS undergraduate degree might benefit the foundational knowledge requirements when pursuing additional or higher degrees in other professions listed below.

Health Care Professional Schools

  • Dentistry
  • Nursing
  • Community and therapeutic recreation
  • Social work
  • Pharmacy
  • Human development and family studies